Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Accio Cupcakes!

For those of you who just rolled your eyes after reading the title...sorry I'm not sorry. Several things first:
A. The credit goes to the older brother (now known by the endearingly annoying nickname O. Bro Bro...you're smart figure it out) for the witty title. 
B. Yes, I saw HP7 part 2. No, I did not go at midnight. Yes, I was very upset by the fact that I did not go at midnight. 
C. Yes, I have been to Wizarding World of Harry Potter (twice), and yes, you should be jealous.
D. Yes, I hated Harry Potter when the first book was first published.
AND last but certainly not least
E. Yes, I skipped the first 50 pages or so of the first book in order to tolerate it.
Now that all of that is out of the way, I can begin. Unless you've been living under a rock for a very long time, I'm sure that you're aware that the Harry Potter franchise (by franchise I'm only referring to the books and movies), has finally come to an end. When I say finally I don't mean it in a grateful way I mean it in a "I never wanted it to end, but unfortunately JK Rowling decided she was content with her multibillion dollars and breaking the hearts of multibillion people" (yes, the second multibillion is incorrectly used, but I thought it was quite witty). I have read all of the books several times and have seen the movies just as many (although as most die-hard book fans will attest: the books are WAY better), and I truly felt like I was growing up with these characters. I'm saddened yes, but life will move on. In honor of the finale, however, I made butterbeer cupcakes as a tribute (and because one of my favorite people in the world Katie posted the recipe on my facebook wall, and I'm not one to say no to a challenge/request). Unfortunately the cupcakes were not ready for the day that I finally saw the movie (Saturday at 7pm...I was trying to be a responsible working adult), and my mom ended up buying dessert for Sunday which left yesterday for cupcake making.


I won't bore you with the baking details, but since I'm in the list making mood, I'll charm you with a few anecdotes.

i. Chris (the little bro) "helped" me make the cupcakes. More importantly he was my photographer (the kid is pretty talented).
ii. Adding extra cream soda and deciding to put some of your own flavoring in batter is never a bad idea.
iii. This is the third cupcake recipe that I've made where the batter has appeared to curdle and scared the living crap out of me.
iv. I am seriously talented at making frostings. Really though...
v. This was the first batch of cupcakes that baked PERFECTLY!
vi. Most importantly...my biggest critic (Chris) said that these were the best yet!


Check out how they turned out below (they're Gryffindor themed...duh)! I also threw in a picture of the butterbeer cart at Wizarding World...photo credit to the one and only JGlide.







1 comment:

  1. Aw, you're one of my favorites too :)
    And like I said last night, they look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete